Friday, July 10, 2009

it's blitz!

The new Yeah Yeah Yeahs album It's Blitz! seems like a bit of a departure from what they usually do. I haven't been a fan for very long, and really, I still haven't gotten over "Maps", but this seems more electro-ish. Which is never something that's been wrong for me personally. First let's just talk about the B.A. cover for just a sec. When I first saw it I had no idea what the heck was going on. I thought she was holding some sort of lamp that expelled water. Then I realized it was a photo of an egg being owned. And I thought it was awesome.
Anyway, the song "Heads Will Roll" is obviously an instant classic. I was sitting in the car with my friend Laura, and I said to myself (well, not as much to myself as to Laura), "I have got to get this album."
It opens with the sultry, spooky "Zero", a less dancey version of "Heads Will Roll". It is vaguely reminiscient of The Killers' "Human", and I think this new techno-infused art rock is a new kind of trend. And I like it.
However, other than the two tracks I just mentioned, none of them really jump out at me. Maybe it's because I'm notoriously hyper and have never been able to properly enjoy more downtempo tracks. Whatever the case may be, I can point out "Skeleton" and "Soft Shock" as two other tracks that I really ended up liking. Overall I'd give this album a three out of four.

No comments: